Tumblr isn’t associated with blogging by many people. But it is one of the better platforms to start a blog for free. Not for niches that require long-form articles though.
Tumblr blogs are better suited for short articles and multimedia posts.
That’s why it has been placed under micro-blogging platforms.
What is Tumblr?
Tumblr is a microblogging and social networking platform which is mostly used by people in the USA.
It isn’t a true blogging or social media platform. It’s something in the middle.
How to Create a Free Tumblr Blog
1. Go to Tumblr.com and hit Get Started:
2. Fill out this short form. You can change your username at any time.
3. Enter your age, agree to the terms & conditions and click Next.
4. Verify that you are not a robot and click “Almost Done”
5. Now select at least 5 topics that you are interested in. Remember Tumblr is a social media/blogging platform. This will help Tumblr show relevant posts.
6. An email will be sent to your email address. Click on the link in the mail to verify your account.
7. Your Tumblr blog will be created. Click on Edit Appearance to begin customizing your blog.
How to Set up Your Tumblr Blog:
Before you let loose and publish posts, there are a few things that you might wanna take care of first.
Your blog address is yourusername.tumblr.com. You might wanna change it so that it reflects your niche.
It’s not that important though.
Because as you publish more posts it will become clear what you post about and you will have an audience based on your niche.
But having a relevant domain will help.
You can also buy and set up a custom domain.
Your blog has the default Tumblr theme applied.
You can keep it or pick other.
Tumblr has plenty of paid and free themes for you to choose from.
Each theme lets you make some customizations.
You can also install custom Tumblr themes.
Steps to install custom Tumblr Theme:
1. Visit your Tumblr blog and click on the icon shown in the image below:
2. Click on Edit HTML:
3. Erase the existing code and paste the code of your custom theme. Click Update Preview to confirm that everything is working correctly. Then click Save.
How To Make Money with a Tumblr Blog:
Broadly there are 4 ways to make money with a tumblr blog-
Advertisement: You can monetize your Tumblr blog with ads from Google Adsense or other ad providers.
The registration process and eligibility criteria vary for different ad providers.
Affiliate Marketing: You could share your affiliate links for products and earn a commission whenever someone buys it through your link.
You can sign up for Amazon affiliate, ShareASale or any other affiliate program.
Sponsorship: If you are able to build a strong niche audience you may start getting direct sponsor requests.
For example, if you review tech products, a company may give a product for free to review. Yes, you get to keep the item.
Sometimes companies will send you the product just so you can review it. You don’t get to keep the product. But you will get money.
Sell: You may sell your own products, services or courses.
Tumblr is good for microblogging and sharing multimedia. It’s a great option if you aren’t the one who can write 2000 or 1000 word articles.
There isn’t a lot you can do for SEO and most of your traffic would come from followers and users following your topic.